This post contains affiliate links to companies we use and love. If you take action (subscribe or make a purchase) using any of the links below, then you’ll help keep our website running.
Finding time for what matters should be simple, right? Well, when you’re juggling a lot on one plate and trying to balance a couple of things on another, you almost forget the golden rule of parenting. Folks, I know it’s not always easy to be present, but there are a handful of ways to do so without losing your mind.
In 2018, I promised myself never to let everyday life get in the way of parenting. After all, everything I do is for my kids, so why wouldn’t I want to spend more time with them?
Unfortunately, there were times when hanging with the kids would get stressful. Within seconds, I’d go from trying to be a fun mom to being a grumpy one. I had to learn how to embrace the mess (at least until the fun was over), instead of driving myself insane because there were LEGO pieces everywhere.
Be A Kid At Heart
Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I think back to the things that made me smile as a kid. At one point, it was playing games on my phone. The irony is, I use my smartphone to communicate daily with clients. It wasn’t until I rediscovered my love for LEGO products that I started to make use of the time I have with the kids.
Unplugging from my mobile phone and laptop during the day meant more time for my family. This also meant more time to complete tasks around the house.
When family and friends ask what my secret to keeping the kids so well-behaved, I let them know bribery and spending time together is a huge part of it.
So, here’s where I spill my Fun Mom ideas. Are you ready?
Let 2019 be the year you focus on stress-free, family fun ideas to do with the kids. Below are 20 ideas for you to try this year (or week!):
2. Build an indoor fort and enjoy a movie with the kids.
3. Let the kids use their imaginations and tell scary stories together.
4. Create an obstacle course at a local park and have small prizes waiting for them after each one.
5. Bake something delicious and let them decorate it.
6. Have a pretend-play food challenge for them to come up with creative dishes for you to judge.
7. Visit their favorite playground and have a picnic.
8. Run barefoot in the rain.
9. Pick seeds from your kids’ favorite fruits and use them to make your own home garden.
10. Plan a karaoke night with their favorite songs.
11. Have a dance-off with the kids.
12. Visit their favorite family member’s house.
13. Host a movie night for them and their friends. (BONUS: Have their favorite snacks available)
14. Surprise-attack them with water balloons or squirt guns.
15. Host a family Nerf gun fight in your garage/backyard.
16. Take a walk around the neighborhood and play I-Spy.
17. Create a new game together with silly rules to follow.
18. Take out those coloring books and bring images to life.
19. Look up recipes and cook something delicious.
20. Take out a blanket, grab your favorite snacks and enjoy the stillness of the night.